Friday, December 4, 2009

old man down

The streets of Sasebo are quite scary these days, in a humorous kind of way.

So, I am walking back from base with all of our laundry which I had to combine into two huge bags-because of a lack of yen in my pocket book. I don't mind though, it's about a mile walk each way and with about 15ish extra pounds I burn some crazy extra amount of calories while doing it. Now, if I had to do it every day then I'm not too sure I would feel the same way. Which is a good thing, because when I don't like something I can really complain about it. A lot.

As I said, I was walking back from base through Sake Town-the area of Japanese bars and Pachinko Parlors (which we still have yet to experience). This is a place where people get smashed 24hrs a day. A place where Brandon often has to step over people at 6:30am on his way to work that are passed out on the front steps of the bar that probably had to throw them out. There I am walking and this old man, probably someones grandfather no doubt, reaches out for an imaginary pole and falls to the ground. Then he rolled around a little bit, holding his head and pulling off his sanitation mask(bah!). He was literally right at my feet and I didn't see anyone move to help him-which is how I knew he was drunk- but I mean, he was right next to me. After working in a water park for close to a decade I can't just walk by someone who is on the ground moaning and bleeding from the head, unfortunately I'm branded good citizen for life. One issue...I really don't know enough Japanese to help. So, what do I do. I lean over him, take out my ear phones, and say, "Dijabu desu ka?". Which means, "Are you alright?", or something close to it. (I'm also sure I miss-spelt dijabu, but that's besides the point.) When he came too he seemed a bit weirded out to see a westerner standing over him with giant bags, like I was going to throw him inside and run off with him. His friend appeared out of no where with thank yous and apologies, and bowing. Thankfully meaning I was off the hook.

I threw my ear phones back in and kept walking. 5 feet away I cross paths with a police officer who had been watching the whole time, and I'm positive his story about the American who tried to help the drunk guy will be just as funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment